Wednesday, May 2, 2012

...and North Carolina it is.

It just dawned on me as I typed that, that I only know about 60 people who live in North Carolina. If I had just planned a little better (something I have never done in my life) I could have got a home cooked meal. Oh well. The budget, motel 6, orchard, days, roach motel it is. I'm in Wheldon NC as I type this. The room isn't half bad. A/C. (It's currently 77 and muggy and buggy...I think something already flew in my mouth...gonna be 97 degrees here tomorrow!) Glad I'm not sticking around, that's crazy! Also the room has wi-fi and cable which I'll watch some of here in a bit. The toughest decision for me tonight is going to be which bed to sleep in...I have a double. I almost took a smoking room just because it had a king bed. ONE. Nothing to think about! The journey to Key West is still a long long way off, about 1000 miles. Damn! got only 600 miles today. started way too damn late. won't make that mistake tomorrow. Pennsylvania screwed me. I think because I mocked it yesterday, it had to pay me back today. Construction is a given there. Always. Forever. The weird part is, the roads have always sucked there too. Plus bad traffic and lots of very dense FOG. Took longer than usual to get out of PA. Then it was onto Maryland and DC. I've never gone straight thru DC and it was fun. Drove over The National Harbor and off in the distance saw the Washington Monument. Pretty Cool. I love DC. One city I would love to visit and tour. Lots of history and things to see. The Smithsonian. The Mall. The Capitol. The White House. The Library of Congress. Too much to mention. A must for me. One of these days. I'd also like to take the Lincoln/Ford's Theater Tour. Then into a speedy Virginia where in most parts of the state the speed limit is 70! I still kept it right around 65 or 64. The gas mileage today was superb. Not much to see in Virginia and by then it was starting to get dark. Pretty soon North Carolina and rest. That's really about it. Still feeling lonely and sort of confused. Like I know I'm going home, where lots and lots of people love me and support me. Where I have an awesome job just waiting for me. But it still feels weird. Maybe it's the lonely. Maybe it's just the traveling by myself part...I don't know. I'm going to give it time. I want to say thanks to my Momma, my sweet friend Doreen and my pals John and Barbara who all kept me company on the phone today. It's so much easier to pull off those miles with someone to chat with. We'll see what tomorrow brings!